Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
July 14, 2016
PUBLIC INVITED TO LEARN ABOUT I-95 SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS AT ROUTE 3
Safety improvements seek to reduce crashes, vehicle weaving at Exit 130 at Fredericksburg
FREDERICKSBURG – The public is invited to attend a design public hearing next week to learn more about proposed safety improvements to the Interstate 95 interchange at Exit 130/Route 3 in Fredericksburg.
The design public hearing will be held:
Tuesday, July 19
Fredericksburg Hospitality House & Conference Center
2801 Plank Road (Central Park)
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Stop by anytime between 5-7 p.m. to review displays, proposed plans, and discuss questions with Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) staff. No formal presentation will be given at the public hearing.
Written and oral comments will be accepted at the public hearing, and afterward through July 29.
Comments may also be submitted by mailing them to Mr. Byrd Holloway, VDOT Project Manager, 87 Deacon Road, Fredericksburg, VA 22405. Comments may be emailed to Byrd Holloway at Curtis.Holloway@VDOT.Virginia.Gov.
This project seeks to enhance safety by reducing crashes, reducing the risk of injuries and fatalities, and to keep traffic moving locally and along the interstate.
Changes are proposed at the following locations:
Route 3 eastbound to Interstate 95 northbound
The existing cloverleaf on-ramp that carries Route 3 eastbound traffic onto Interstate 95 northbound would be closed.
Instead, eastbound Route 3 traffic would access I-95 northbound using 3 left turn lanes that would be built on Route 3, just beyond the I-95 overpass.
Traffic would turn left onto the northbound on-ramp controlled by a new traffic signal.
The northbound on-ramp would be widened to allow two lanes to merge onto 95 north.
Interstate 95 southbound to Route 3 westbound
Several changes are proposed for southbound I-95 traffic exiting to Route 3 westbound. The proposed design would:
- Extend the length of the deceleration lane and vehicle storage area for I-95 southbound traffic exiting at Route 3 westbound
- Widen the exit ramp to accommodate additional lanes
- Create a barrier separated lane leading to the Carl D. Silver Parkway entrance at Central Park. This seeks to reduce vehicle weaving and a conflict point at the end of the ramp today.
- Three right turn lanes would be built for traffic exiting to Route 3 westbound. These lanes would make a slight right turn onto Route 3, controlled by a traffic signal. On a green signal, this would give traffic the opportunity to enter Route 3 westbound while through traffic is stopped at a red signal.
Interstate 95 northbound to Route 3 eastbound (Optional improvement pending funding)
- The existing ramp that carries traffic from Interstate 95 northbound to Route 3 eastbound would be realigned to allow additional time for vehicles to merge onto Route 3 eastbound.
For additional information, please visit the project page on www.VirginiaDOT.org:
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.