Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
March 6, 2013
CREWS WORKING TO CLEAR INTERSTATE 95 AND PRIMARY ROUTES IN THE FREDERICKSBURG REGION
Mostly wet pavement in the Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula areas
FREDERICKSBURG – (5 a.m.) Snow continues to fall in the Fredericksburg area. VDOT crews are plowing on Interstate 95 and primary routes in the Fredericksburg region which includes Stafford and Spotsylvania. All three lanes on the interstate are clear, however slushy conditions exists along the shoulder and ramps. Primary and secondary routes and neighborhood streets are also snow and slush covered at this time. Motorists should delay travel until conditions improve.
Road conditions in the Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula areas primarily wet.
Forecasters predict high winds throughout the day which could potentially reduce visibility and cause downed trees and power lines. Motorists should be alert to road closures associated with these conditions.
Crews will continue 24-hour emergency operations until the storm passes and conditions improve.
If travel is necessary motorists are urged to call 511 or visit www.511virginia.org to get the latest road conditions in anywhere in Virginia. VDOT also reminds motorists to adhere to the following winter driving tips.
• Keep your car’s windows, mirrors and lights clear of snow and ice.
• Always wear your seat belt.
• Leave a few minutes early.
• Start out slowly in the lowest gear recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer.
• Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots and bridges.
• Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles and trucks that are plowing the road.
• Don’t pass a snowplow or spreader unless it is absolutely necessary. Treat these as you would emergency response vehicles.
• Keep an emergency winter driving kit in your car.
• Drive smart and pay close attention
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.