LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
Oct. 29, 2012
STORM UPDATE (5:30 P.M.): VDOT CONTINUES TO MONITOR ROAD CONDITIONS AND WIND SPEEDS THROUGHOUT THE DISTRICT
Heavy rain and high winds are forecasted for the overnight hours
FREDERICKSBURG— VDOT crews in the 14-county district will continue to monitor roads for high water, flooding and downed trees and power lines caused by the heavy rain and high winds throughout the night.
Portions of Route 17 in Tappahannock, Harrell Road and Brooke Road in Stafford County are among the roads that are posted for high water. Numerous roads in the Middle Peninsula and Northern Neck region are closed due to high water. Click here for a complete list of road closings and high water advisories in the 14-county district. Motorists are urged to use caution when traveling in these areas and other low-lying areas that are prone to flooding.
Crews will also continue to monitor wind speeds at the Norris Bridge, located on Route 3 between Middlesex and Lancaster, the Down Bridge, located on Route 360 between Essex and Richmond County and at the West Point Bridges in the Town of West Point. If the wind speeds reach 50 mph sustained, the structures will be closed to traffic.
VDOT reminds motorists to:
• Delay travel at the height of the storm, if travel cannot be avoided, reduce your speed
• Avoid traveling on roads that have been posted for high water or closed.
• Remember that wet leaves can cause slick conditions on roads.
• Be alert to traffic signal outages. Treat intersections as a four-way stop if the traffic signal is out or flashing.
• Visit VDOT's website for more inclement weather driving tips and storm preparation
• Call 511 or visit www.511virginia.org for up to the minute road conditions and closings.
• Download the free mobile app at the 511 web site.
• Call VDOT’s 24-hour Customer Service Center at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) to report downed trees and power lines, hazardous road conditions.
• Visit VDOT’s Facebook page for updates during the storm.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford (Fredericksburg area); Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties (Northern Neck area); Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties (Middle Peninsula).
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.