Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
Jan. 30, 2010
ROADS IN THE FREDERICKSBURG DISTRICT ARE SNOW COVERED
(Hazardous driving conditions exists - avoid travel if possible)
FREDERICKSBURG (Noon)— As snow continues to fall, VDOT is reporting moderate to severe road conditions throughout the Fredericksburg District. Portions of I-95 are in minor to moderate condition. Most primary routes are reported in severe condition. Crews are plowing and applying chemicals, salt and abrasives on the interstate and primary routes. It is unlikely that crews will begin clearing in subdivisions until tomorrow.
Motorists are advised that hazardous driving conditions exist throughout the district.
VDOT offers the following tips for driving in winter weather:
• Avoid unnecessary travel. If you must drive, know the current road conditions and weather forecasts. Call 511 or visit www.511Virginia.org.
• Make sure your windows, mirrors and lights are clear of ice and snow.
• Always wear your seat belt.
• Allow extra time to travel to your destination.
• Be aware of potentially icy areas such as bridges, overpasses and shady spots.
• Reduce speed and keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
• Do not pass a snowplow unless it is absolutely necessary.
• Keep an emergency winter driving kit in your car, including a small bag of rock salt, sand or cat litter to provide traction in case you get stuck, a snowbrush and ice scraper, a flashlight, battery booster cables, a blanket and extra clothing.
• Practice common sense. Remember that your car cannot start, stop, or turn as quickly and surely on snow or ice as it does on dry pavement, so think and drive accordingly
The following counties are included in the Fredericksburg District: Stafford, Spotsylvania, King George, Caroline, Essex, King William, Westmoreland, Richmond, Northumberland, Lancaster, King and Queen, Middlesex, Gloucester and Mathews.
Road Condition Definitions
Closed – Roadway is closed; impassable
Severe – Significant accumulations of snow or ice blocking the roadway; conditions are hazardous
Moderate – Snow or ice covering a major portion of the roadway; passable with caution
Minor – Advisory, potential for icy patches or snow on roadway; passable with caution
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.