Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
Jan. 28, 2009
Area Road Condition Update - 3 p.m.
Motorists should be prepared for refreezing overnight
FREDERICKSBURG — Rain is forecasted for the Fredericksburg region for the rest of today and overnight. Temperatures will be above freezing during the daylight hours but may dip below freezing after dark. VDOT crews will continue to monitor and treat roads as needed throughout the night. Motorists should be alert to areas that may refreeze after dark and use caution when traveling tonight and in the early morning hours. Motorists are reminded that bridges, overpasses and ramps are likely to freeze first and even treated roads can be slippery.
VDOT urges motorists to observe the following winter driving tips:
· Make sure your vehicle is winter ready.
· Keep an emergency driving kit in your car and wear your seatbelt.
· Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
· Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots and bridges.
· When driving on ice, don’t slam on your brakes. Travel gently. Turn slowly. Sudden changes can cause your car to spin out of control.
For real time travel information call 511 or visit www.511virginia.org. For winter preparedness information, visit: www.virginiadot.org/news/snowseason.asp
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.