Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
March 24, 2018
March 24, 2018 4 p.m. Travel Advisory: Be alert to rapidly changing conditions this afternoon, evening
BRISTOL— With snow falling in areas of southwest Virginia this afternoon, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) advises motorists to be alert to rapidly deteriorating conditions this afternoon and evening.
Following are road conditions as of 4 p.m.:
- Be alert to snow-covered sections of Interstate 81 in Smyth County. Also be alert to slush along the interstates in southwestern Virginia.
- The majority of highways in Grayson, Smyth, Wythe, Tazewell and Bland counties are snow-covered and slick.
- Most primary highways have scattered snow and ice patches in Washington, Buchanan, Wise and Dickenson counties. Many secondary highways (routes numbered 600+) in these counties are snow-covered and slick.
- Be alert to scattered snow and ice patches on roads in Scott and Russell counties.
- Highways in Lee County are currently clear but wet.
Travelers can get real-time information on road conditions, traffic incidents and congestion on Virginia roads by using VDOT’s 511 free mobile app or the www.511Virginia.org website and phone system, which can help travelers plan their routes accordingly.
The Bristol District includes the counties of Bland, Wythe, Tazewell, Grayson, Smyth, Russell, Buchanan, Washington, Wise, Dickenson, Lee and Scott counties. c(END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.