Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
March 25, 2018
5 a.m. Travel Advisory: VDOT continues efforts to clear snow from highways in southwest Virginia
BRISTOL— Crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) continue clearing snow from highways in southwest Virginia and ask motorists to postpone unnecessary travel this morning.
Following are road conditions as of 4 a.m.:
- Portions of Interstate 81 in Wythe County and Interstate 77 in southwest Virginia are snow-covered and slick.
- The majority of main highways in Grayson, Wythe, Tazewell and Bland counties are snow-covered and slick.
- Most primary highways have scattered snow and ice patches in Russell, Washington and Smyth counties.
- Secondary highways in Bland, Grayson, Wythe, Washington and Smyth counties are snow-covered and slick.
- Secondary highways in Wise, Scott, Dickenson, Buchanan and Russell counties have snow and ice patches.
- Main highways in Wise, Scott, Buchanan and Dickenson counties are clear but wet.
- All highways in Lee County are currently clear but wet.
An accident on I-81 southbound near mile marker 67 has the left lane closed while cargo is unloaded from a tractor trailer in the median. Use caution in this area and allow extra travel time.
Travelers can get real-time information on road conditions, traffic incidents and congestion on Virginia roads by using VDOT’s 511 free mobile app or the www.511Virginia.org website and phone system, which can help travelers plan their routes accordingly.
The Bristol District includes the counties of Bland, Wythe, Tazewell, Grayson, Smyth, Russell, Buchanan, Washington, Wise, Dickenson, Lee and Scott counties.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.