VDOT News - Bristol
Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
Dec. 10, 2018
4 a.m. December 10, 2018: Travel Advisory/I-81 Update
BRISTOL— The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), Virginia State Police and local law enforcement are working to move slowed traffic on Interstate 81 in Bristol between mile marker 2 and the Virginia/Tennessee state line. Traffic is slowly moving along this section and crews hope to have the backup fully cleared within the hour.
VDOT crews report the following conditions in southwest Virginia as of 4 a.m.:
- Be alert to scattered snow and ice patches on Interstates 81 and 77.
- Primary highways in Bland, Wythe, Grayson, Washington and Smyth counties are snow-covered and slick.
- The majority of primary roads Dickenson, Wise, Buchanan, Russell, Scott and Tazewell counties have scattered snow and ice patches. Snow-covered conditions remain on sections of Route 80 in Russell County.
- Primary highways in Lee County are clear but wet.
- The majority of secondary routes in the region are snow-covered and slick. Once the snow ends and crews have finalized snow removal on primary highways, they will move to routes numbers 600 and above.
The Bristol District includes the counties of Bland, Wythe, Tazewell, Grayson, Smyth, Russell, Buchanan, Washington, Wise, Dickenson, Lee and Scott counties. (END)
Travelers can get real-time information on road conditions, traffic incidents and congestion on Virginia roads by using VDOT’s 511 free mobile app or the www.511Virginia.org website and phone system, which can help travelers plan their routes accordingly.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.