Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
Dec. 10, 2018
10p.m. 12.9.2018 Travel Advisory: Efforts continue to clear I-81 north
BRISTOL— The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), Virginia State Police and local law enforcement continue efforts to clear backups on Interstate 81 in Washington County, following a mid-morning incident near I-81 exit 19 in Abingdon that blocked the interstate during the peak of the storm.
Motorists are advised to not travel on I-81 northbound in northeast Tennessee and southwest Virginia until emergency teams can fully respond. As of 10 p.m., emergency personnel are working near mile marker 12 in Washington County.
Following are conditions on other highways in southwest Virginia as of 10 p.m.:
- Interstates 81 and 77 remain snow-covered and slick in most areas.
- Primary highways in Bland, Wythe, Grayson, Washington, Buchanan, Tazewell and Smyth counties are snow-covered and slick.
- The majority of primary roads in Russell County have scattered snow and ice patches. Snow-covered conditions remain on sections of Routes 63 and 80.
- The majority of primary highways in Dickenson, Scott and Wise counties have scattered snow and ice patches.
- All primary highways in Lee County are clear but wet; however, use caution and be alert to the possibility of refreezing overnight.
- The majority of secondary routes in the region are snow-covered and slick. Once the snow ends and crews have finalized snow removal on primary highways, they will move to routes numbers 600 and above.
The Bristol District includes the counties of Bland, Wythe, Tazewell, Grayson, Smyth, Russell, Buchanan, Washington, Wise, Dickenson, Lee and Scott counties. (END)
Travelers can get real-time information on road conditions, traffic incidents and congestion on Virginia roads by using VDOT’s 511 free mobile app or the www.511Virginia.org website and phone system, which can help travelers plan their routes accordingly.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.