Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
March 25, 2018
10 p.m. Travel Advisory: Postpone unnecessary travel, many roads snow-covered and hazardous
BRISTOL— Heavy snow continues to fall in southwestern Virginia, creating hazardous travel conditions. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) advises motorists to postpone unnecessary travel until conditions improve.
Following are road conditions as of 10 p.m.:
- Interstates 81 and 77 in southwest Virginia are snow-covered, slick and hazardous.
- The majority of main highways in Grayson, Smyth, Wythe, Tazewell and Bland counties are snow-covered, slick and hazardous.
- Most primary highways have scattered snow and ice patches in Russell, Buchanan, Washington, Dickenson and Wise counties.
- Secondary highways in Grayson, Smyth, Wythe, Tazewell, Bland and Washington counties are snow-covered and slick.
- Secondary highways in Dickenson, Russell, Buchanan, Scott and Wise counties have scattered snow and ice patches.
- Main highways in Scott County are clear but wet.
- All highways in Lee County are currently clear but wet.
Travelers can get real-time information on road conditions, traffic incidents and congestion on Virginia roads by using VDOT’s 511 free mobile app or the www.511Virginia.org website and phone system, which can help travelers plan their routes accordingly.
The Bristol District includes the counties of Bland, Wythe, Tazewell, Grayson, Smyth, Russell, Buchanan, Washington, Wise, Dickenson, Lee and Scott counties. (END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.