Michelle Earl 276-669-9999
April 1, 2008
Ten highway contracts valued at $10 million for southwestern Virginia
RICHMOND, Va. – Ten highway contracts valued at approximately $10 million were recently awarded in the Bristol District of the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). The Bristol District consists of 12 counties in southwestern Virginia: Washington, Smyth, Lee, Scott, Russell, Buchanan, Tazewell, Bland, Wise, Dickenson, Grayson and Wythe.
W-L Construction, Chilhowie, received six contracts valued at approximately $8.5 million to mill, pave and upgrade guardrail at the following locations:
· Northbound on Interstate 81 between Milepost 23 and 27 in Washington County.
· Northbound on Interstate 81 between Milepost 56 and 61 in Wythe County.
· Southbound on Interstate 77 between Exit 66 and Milepost 65 in Bland County.
· Route 58 east and westbound in Grayson County, from just east of Route 613 to the bridge over Route 52/61.
· Route 23 north and southbound in Wise County along the Norton Bypass.
· Northbound on Interstate 81 between Exit 35 and Milepost 42 in Smyth County.
Two bridge improvement contacts were approved: a $609,989 project was awarded to Patrick Construction, Inc., St. Paul, to replace a portion of the Route 613 bridge over Big Moccasin Creek in Scott County, and a $257,045 contract was awarded to Ken Construction, Inc., Lebanon, to replace a portion of the Route 642 bridge over Cripple Creek in Wythe County.
Elk Knob, Inc., Pennington Gap, received a $350,757 contract to widen a portion of Route 663 in Russell County, beginning just over a mile south of Route 615 and extending south about a half-mile.
Lastly, a $237,752 contract was awarded to Penn Line Service, Inc., Scottdale, Penn., to install new guardrail at various locations along Route 460 in Tazewell County. (END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.