Positions will open Sept. 14, 2015, and close Nov. 30, 2015.
Cohorts begin the end of May 2016.
(Elizabeth River Tunnel Project site visit, July 8, 2015, Hampton Roads.)
The Internship Program focuses on introducing students to the importance of public service and transportation.
Internships gives students real work experience in business, engineering, environmental and other functional areas within the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). Learning focuses on technical and self-leadership skills needed for the individual and potentially for VDOT.
Why This Program?
Participants spend summers working in a challenging and interesting VDOT position.
This is a paid position that provides real-world work experience within a variety of disciplines and geographic areas.
Students work directly with a program manager to ensure their experience contributes to their studies, career goals and developmental needs.
In addition, participants get to network with other program participants. This allows them to learn from each other about the diverse needs of the organization.
Requirements to apply
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident
- Be at least 18 years old
- As of May 2016, be a rising sophomore (second), junior (third) or senior (fourth) year doing undergraduate study in a two- or four-year accredited college or university
- Graduate students must be enrolled in a degreed program in an accredited college or university
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale or 3.0 or above on a 6.0 scale.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate students and nine credit hours per semester for graduate students.
Click the link if you are eligible and interested: Internship Program.
Note: If you are majoring in civil engineering, VDOT offers a Civil Engineering Scholarship Program. You may also apply if you meet program requirements: Civil Engineering Scholarship Program.
Email questions or comments to PipelinePrograms@vdot.virginia.gov