Engineer Scholarship Program
The Civil Engineering Scholarship Program (CESP) provides civil engineering students the opportunity to gain valuable, real-world work experience, earn money over the summer and receive stipends to assist with educational expenses.
(Elizabeth River Tunnel Project site visit, July 8, 2015, Hampton Roads)
Why This Program?
CESP provides participants with a $3,500 stipend for the fall and spring semesters. Stipends are issued based on continued program eligibility.
CESP participants spend summers working in a challenging and interesting VDOT position. This is a paid position providing real-world work experience within a variety of disciplines and geographic areas.
Students work directly with a professional engineer to ensure their experience contributes to their studies, career goals and developmental needs.
In addition, participants get the opportunity to network with other CESP participants. This allows them to learn from each other about the diverse needs of the organization.
Requirements to apply:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Maintain residency in Virginia or attend a school in the commonwealth .
- As of May 2016, be a rising junior (third year) or senior (fourth year) doing undergraduate study in an ABET accredited four-year college or university.
- Must need at least two semesters of coursework before graduation.
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
- Declare and pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering or civil engineering technology.
- Agree to begin his or her civil engineering career with the Virginia Department of Transportation following graduation.
Click the following link if you are eligible and interested in the Civil Engineering Scholarship Program.
Note: VDOT also offers an internship program for business and engineering students. You may also apply if you meet program requirements: VDOT Internship Program.
Email questions or comments to PipelinePrograms@vdot.virginia.gov.