STEM Outreach At VDOT
Inspiring The Next Generation Of VDOT Employees
There is more to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) than filling potholes and moving snow. Every aspect of VDOT encompasses STEM fields.
We invite students and teachers to explore the variety of careers at VDOT through transportation-themed lessons and hands-on activities.
For questions about our resources or events, contact Angela Parsley, STEM Coordinator: 804-904-2207 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEM Loaner Kits
COMING FALL 2020 !!!!
VDOT will have kits available to borrow for 3 of the STEM lessons below. Kits will contain all of the resources/supplies needed to do the lesson with students. Stay tuned for details on how to reserve and borrow a kit for your classroom.
Lessons and Resources
- VDOT- STEM in Transportation: Technical Drawing Lesson / PowerPoint
- VDOT- STEM in Transportation: Transportation Sensors Lesson / PowerPoint / Kahoot™ activity
- VDOT - STEM in Transportation: Robotic Palletizing Lesson / PowerPoint
- PBS Build It Big Bridges
- Intelligent Transportation Lessons – NanoSonic
- VDOT careers flier
- U.S Department of Transportation - Resources for teachers and mentors
Bridge Building Competition
- In coordination with Virginia TSA for 2020-2021
- Students design, build, and present their bridges.
- Pre-registration is required. Visit the Virginia TSA website to sign up a team.
- Open to middle and high school- aged students in Virginia.
2020 Silver Sponsors:
2020 Bronze Sponsor:
Education and Training
- Civil engineering
- Old Dominion University
- George Mason University
- Virginia Tech
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Military Institute
- CCWA Training Courses
Technology in Transportation
- Physics Central - High-tech road science: Where nano meets pavement
- Business Insider - New asphalt closes road cracks using nanoparticles