STEM Outreach At VDOT
Inspiring The Next Generation Of VDOT Employees
VDOT offers schools two free curriculum programs through the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO).
Transportation and Civil Engineering
The Transportation and Civil Engineering (TRAC) Program is composed of hands-on educational modules designed for integration into science, math and social science classes in middle and high schools.
- Environmental engineering: Erosion, sedimentation, air pollution, noise, water quality and habitat loss
- Roadway design and construction: Math, social sciences and technology
- Traffic engineering: Basic linear motion, braking distance and friction, and programming logic for traffic systems
- Bridge design: Design, build, and test processes, CAD (computer-assisted design), materials selection
- Motion and the transportation engineer: Momentum and energy conservation, automobile collision analysis and roadside crash barrier design
- Highway safety: Data analysis, mathematical approach to designing safe curves, CAD (Computer-Assisted Design)
Roadways into Developing Elementary Students
Also knows as RIDES, this program was developed by the Mississippi Department of Transportation.
It is a collection of K‐8 lessons that align with National Standards for math and science. Teachers receive a large storage trunk with supplies needed to complete the activities.
Both programs are free to schools. Teachers just need to attend a training session.
You can also invite a VDOT volunteer to speak to your students.
Upcoming TRAC Training
- Aug 6 - 7, VDOT Central Office, 1401 E. Broad St., Richmond, Virginia, 23219 Registration form
- Aug. 20 – 21, 2018, MathScience Innovation Center, 2401 Hartman St, Richmond, Virginia, 23223, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Open to any middle or high school teacher in Virginia, as space allows) Registration form
- Contact email@example.com, 804-328-3047
VDOT Bridge Building Competition
- Students design, build, and present their bridges.
- Pre-registration is required.
- Open to middle and high school- aged students in Virginia. Scouting groups, homeschool groups, and teams from private schools are encouraged to participate.
- Rules and registration details:
Note: The AASHTO national bridge competition rules are different from the VDOT rules. All teams are encourages to try for the national competition which requires some additional requirements.
- 2018 competition (Grades 7-8)
- 2018 competition (Grades 9-10)
- 2018 competition (Grades 11-12)
- 2019 registration form (available in the fall of 2018)
- AASHTO national bridge building info
- Michigan DOT videos on how to use the Bentley software
- PBS Build It Big Bridges (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/bridge/basics.html)
- Us. Dept of Transportation (https://www.transportation.gov/womenandgirls/resources-teachers-mentors)
Education and Training
- Civil engineering
- Old Dominion University
- George Mason University
- Virginia Tech
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Military Institute
Technology in Transportation
Contact Angela Parsley, STEM Coordinator to register or for more information: 804-328-3047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.