STEM Outreach At VDOT
Inspiring The Next Generation Of VDOT Employees
VDOT offers schools two free curriculum programs through the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO).
Transportation and Civil Engineering
The Transportation and Civil Engineering (TRAC) Program is composed of hands-on educational modules designed for integration into science, math and social science classes in middle and high schools.
- Environmental engineering: Erosion, sedimentation, air pollution, noise, water quality and habitat loss
- Roadway design and construction: Math, social sciences and technology
- Traffic engineering: Basic linear motion, braking distance and friction, and programming logic for traffic systems
- Bridge design: Design, build, and test processes, CAD (computer-assisted design), materials selection
- Motion and the transportation engineer: Momentum and energy conservation, automobile collision analysis and roadside crash barrier design
- Highway safety: Data analysis, mathematical approach to designing safe curves, CAD (Computer-Assisted Design)
VDOT Bridge Building Competition
April 27, 2019 - Hermitage High School (Henrico County)
- Students design, build, and present their bridges.
- Pre-registration is required.
- Open to middle and high school- aged students in Virginia. Scouting groups, homeschool groups, and teams from private schools are encouraged to participate.
- Rules and registration details:
Note: The AASHTO national bridge competition rules are different from the VDOT rules. All teams are encourages to try for the national competition which requires some additional requirements.
Roadways into Developing Elementary Students
Also knows as RIDES, this program was developed by the Mississippi Department of Transportation.
It is a collection of K‐8 lessons that align with National Standards for math and science. Teachers receive a large storage trunk with supplies needed to complete the activities.
Both programs are free to schools. Teachers just need to attend a training session.
You can also invite a VDOT volunteer to speak to your students.
Upcoming TRAC Training
- Dates to be announced
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 804-328-3047
- PBS Build It Big Bridges
- Us. Dept of Transportation - Resources for Teachers and Mentors
Education and Training
- Civil engineering
- Old Dominion University
- George Mason University
- Virginia Tech
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Military Institute
- Construction inspector/ maintenance technician
Technology in Transportation
- Physics Central - High-tech road science: Where nano meets pavement
- Business Insider - New asphalt closes road cracks using nanoparticles
- World Highways - Asphalt paving is seeing innovative new technology
Contact Angela Parsley, STEM Coordinator to register or for more information: 804-328-3047 or email@example.com.