VDOT Materials Certification Schools
Materials Certification Schools in 2019
The MCS courses are currently being delivered through a partnership between VDOT, the Virginia Education Center for Asphalt Technology (VECAT) with Germanna Community College (GCC) and the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA).
VECAT, through Germanna Community College (GCC), is hosting the following courses, which are now available either online or in a face to face format:
Asphalt Field Level 1 and Level 2
Asphalt Plant Level 1 and Level 2
Asphalt Plant Mix Design/ Aggregate Properties
The CCWA is hosting the following courses, which are available in a traditional (instructor-led) format or as a self-study option, allowing the students to challenge the Materials Certification exams:
Soils and Aggregates compaction
Central Mix Aggregate Plant
Pavement Marking is only available as an online course
For more information on CCWA courses and registration click here or contact CCWA at 804-523-2290 or 804-523-2292.
Students are required to register for classes on the GCC and/or CCWA web sites. ALL students must have a valid account on VDOT University. Access to test grades will be first done on GCC and CCWA and certification credentials will ONLY be available through VDOT University Virtual Campus, so ALL students must have a valid account on VDOT University. Grades and certifications are issued within 15-30 business days after the testing date.
For questions or concerns regarding MCS grades or certification status, contact Farrah Pinckney-Semere at 804-328-3158 or MaterialsCertification@vdot.virginia.gov .
If you are currently participating in VDOT's Materials Certification Schools, you can access your Materials Certification Reports via the VDOT University Virtual Campus:
VDOT University Virtual Campus Users connect at: https://VirtualCampus.VDOT.Virginia.gov
Maintenence of Certification:
All of the MCS Certifications are valid for five years and must be retaken every five years to maintain the certification. If your certification expires this year, you must successfully complete all requirements for the certification by completing an instructor-led or self-study course and any proficiency in the same calendar year.
Some courses also require that the proficiency be demonstrated at a VDOT approved locations. Enrollment can be completed on through Germanna Community College or CCWA. That list has been provided below:
- Asphalt Plant Level 1 - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Asphalt Plant Level 2 - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Asphalt Plant Mix Design - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Concrete Field - Current ACI must be submitted to MaterialsCertification@vdot.virginia.gov
- Soils and Aggregate Compaction - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by CCWA
- **New**Central Mix Aggregate Plant - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by CCWA **New**
To learn about CHANGES up to 2018, please review the following:
- MCS Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- 2013 Program Changes (PDF)
- ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician Certification Program Schedule
- Nuclear Radiation Certifications can now be obtained online through third party vendors (PDF)
If you need more in-depth questions contact the Materials Certification Schools team:
Farrah Pinckney-Semere 804-328-3158
Scott Manning 804-229-5118