Local Assistance Division
Locally Administered Projects
Virginia’s transportation program delivery continues to evolve to include increasing roles and responsibilities by local governments.
Much of this change has been initiated through changes in Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) business philosophy, the Virginia General Assembly’s direction through legislation, and an increase in local funding to meet transportation needs.
As a result, VDOT is expanding beyond its traditional role as an implementing agency with an increased role in oversight and stewardship of the transportation program.
VDOT is committed to developing programs and processes that provide local governments the necessary tools to successfully administer transportation programs and that provide consistent requirements so federal and state stewardship and oversight obligations can be met and projects can be implemented in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Locally Administered Projects Manual
- VDOT’s Locally Administered Programs and Projects policy (includes policy implementation efforts)
- Locally Administered Construction Advertisement Commitments
- Local partnership team – training and outreach
- Reporting systems to be used on locally administered projects – Project Cost Estimating System, Dashboard
- Forms – Requests to administer, checklist, standard agreement
- Keys to success (things to remember)
Project Information Reports
New The project information reports include basic project information for locally and VDOT administered projects.
The report is generated weekly from data available in the VDOT iSYP suite applications.
The report includes general project information, current estimates, current programming schedule, six-year plan allocations (final approved each June), current expenditures and schedule activities and dates.
Upon opening each report, users will use a “drill-down”-style menu system to locate their respective projects.
VDOT Pre-Award Evaluation
To assist in the overall evaluation of architectural and engineering consultant proposals, pre-award evaluations are conducted to determine if the provisions of the proposed agreement are in compliance with VDOT policy and federal regulations (23 CFR Part 172). The pre-award evaluation should, to the fullest extent possible, determine the financial capability of the firm, the adequacy of the organization’s accounting system and the propriety of overhead and labor additives. To assist localities and consultants on expediting this review for fixed billable rate "professional service" contracts, please use the following instructions and templates when submitting to VDOT for review:
- Instructions to Local Public Agencies (LPA's)
- Instructions to Engineering Consultants on LPA projects
- Pre-Award Templates - Note: The Consultants will fill out and send these templates to the LPA for review prior to sending to VDOT.
Federal Subrecipient Reporting
Annually, all subrecipients receiving in excess of $750,000 of federal funding must complete a Schedule of Federal Awards (SEFA) as part of their Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
The following information is provided to subrecipients of federal funding to assist them in meeting the reporting requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations Title 2 Subtitle A Chapter II Part 200.
- Sub-recipient monitoring letter to localities 2019
- Response form 2019
- Federal Reimbursements to Subrecipients Spreadsheet – FY19
- Job aid to assist in use of subrecipient spreadsheet 2019
Local Assistance Program Compliance Assessments
- 2017/18 LAP Compliance Assessment Summary
- 2016 compliance assessment summary
- 2015 compliance assessment summary
- 2014 compliance assessment summary
- 2013 compliance assessment summary
- 2013 Federal Highway Administration process review report - Local Program Assistance project review
- 2012 compliance assessment summary
FHWA Compliance Assessment Program Review Reports
Lloyd Arnold, local administration program manager, 804-371-4870
Kurt Kuppert, local administration program manager (Bristol, Northern Virginia and Salem districts), 804-786-2595
Jonathan Liss, Local Administration Program Manager (Lynchburg, Richmond, Hampton Roads, and Staunton districts), 804-371-8764
Cynthia Clark, local administration program manager, 804-371-6289