The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) procures professional services contracts for transportation projects through competitive negotiation, a selection method defined in the VPPA §2.2-4300 and in accordance with 2009 Manual for the Procurement and Management of Professional Services. These services are primarily procured by the following divisions:
- Schedule and Contract
- Location and Design
- Structure and Bridge
- Right of Way and Utilities
- Transportation Mobility Management
Questions and comments about the program should be sent to Mr. Shailendra G. Patel, P. E., at Shailendra.Patel@VDOT.Virginia.gov.
April 1, 2013 - Present Workload (Backlog) for Professional Services
Effecitve this date, VDOT has issued a memorandum that implements changes to the Present Workload computation for DBE/SWAM firms in the consultant evaluation and selection process. This memorandum is available at the link below.
July 1, 2012 - 2009 Manual for the Procurement of Professional Services September 2009 Revision  July 1, 2012
Effective July 1, 2012, the Revision 3 of the 2009 Manual for the Procurement of Professional Services is approved and available for use. The below link will take you to the revised manual
2009 Manual for the Procurement of Professional Services Revision  July 1, 2012
April 2012 - Reinstatement of the Rate Escalation for Professional Services Contracts - memo
Effective April 23, 2012, VDOT is reinstating rate escalation for professional services contracts. The below attached memo outlines the new rates for contracts with fixed billable rate and cost plus fixed (net) fee compensation. This memorandum supersedes the one dated August 28, 2009, regarding a suspension of the rate escalation on professional services contracts.
April 2012 - VDOT's Consultant Score Sheet for Professional Services
Effective April 17, 2012, the below attached consultant evaluation Score Sheet will be applicable for all Request for Proposals (RFP) that are advertised but where the Expressions of Interest (EOI) have not been received. Effectively all professional services EOI received after April 17, 2012 will be evaluated using this revised Score Sheet.
February 2012: VDOT’s Consultant Engineering Outsourcing Planning Document:
VDOT has developed an outsourcing planning document based on the current six year plan. During the ACEC meetings, the Chief Engineer and Deputy Chief Engineer discussed the outsourcing plan. The initial plan and subsequent update for February 2012 are attached below for your information and use. Questions and comments about document should be sent to Mohammad Mirshahi, P. E., at M.Mirshahi@vdot.virginia.gov.
VDOT’s Consultant Engineering Outsourcing Planning Document Feb. 2012
VDOT’s Consultant Engineering Outsourcing Planning Document (August 2011)
Feb. 14, 2011: The Virginia Department of Transportation Central Office has implemented changes in the way mail is received.
All mail received at the Central Office, or delivered by FedEx, UPS or courier to Central Office security desks, will be directed to the Central Office Mail Center entrance located at the loading dock in the rear of 1401 E. Broad St.
This includes all hand-delivered packages by vendors or individuals.
All vendors submitting Invitations for Bids (IFB), Request for Qualifications (RFQ), Expressions of Interest (EOI) or other time sensitive material should plan in advance to allow adequate time to assure that packages are received by the Mail Center staff in a timely manner.
Time-sensitive materials will be time stamped upon receipt and distributed to the intended destination.
Contact district and residency offices for information on their mail policies.
- Upcoming consultant contracts
- Request for proposals
- Shortlisted and selected firms
- Memorandum of Agreement template (MOA) (PDF,162 KB)
- e-Procurement (eVA)
- State Corporation Commission
- Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
- C-63 form
- Location and Design Division FMSII consultant information current estimate form
- GSA form 254
- GSA form 255
Division information links
- New 2009 Manual for the Procurement and Management of Professional Services - Revision , July 1, 2012 (PDF, 770 KB)
- SCC guide (PDF)
- Location and Design Division consultant guide for fee proposal
- Structure and Bridge consultant guide for fee proposal
- eVA registration requirement
- VDOT process for securing professional services
- Ban on smoking in state offices and vehicles
- Consultant performance report
- Title VI compliance requirements
- FHWA order 4470.01A (PDF, 398 KB)
- Sample contractor certification (PDF, 10 KB)
- Memo - Suspension of Rate Escalation for Professional Services Contracts (PDF, 30 KB)
- Memo - Regulation Compliance for Professional Services (PDF, 31 KB)