The Alternative Project Delivery (APD) Division is responsible for developing the Department’s list of candidate Design-Build projects, developing and advertising Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and Request for Proposals (RFP), short-listing the Offerors and awarding the Design-Build contract.
- Design-Build Evaluation Guidelines (revised May 2014)
- Design-Build Procurement Manual (revised October 2011)
- Instructional and Informational Memoranda (IIM) APD
- Minimum Requirements for Quality Assurance and Quality Control on Design Build and P3 Projects, January 2012
- Alternate Technical Concept (ATC) Process - Draft
Notice: Any person, partnership, corporation, or other entity offering or practicing architecture, engineering, or land surveying shall be registered or licensed in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 4, Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia. It is an Offeror's responsibility to comply with the requirements related to organizational structure, any required registration with governmental agencies and/or entities, and any required governmental licensure, whether business, individual, or professional in nature, and failure to comply with those requirements may render a submittal non-responsive.
- Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation: http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/dporweb/dpormainwelcome.cfm
- Memo from VDOT Concerning SCC and DPOR
- State Corporation Commission: http://www.scc.virginia.gov
Questions and comments about the program should be sent to Jeffrey Roby, PE, DBIA, at Jeffrey.Roby@VDOT.Virginia.gov
Section § 33.2-209(B) of the Code of Virginia authorizes the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and the Commonwealth Transportation Board to develop and award contracts using the Design-Build contracting method.
Section §33.2-269 of the Code authorizes local governments to utilize the Design-Build contracting method.
VDOT's Alternative Project Delivery Division has developed guidelines to assist local governments.
- Frequently asked questions
- Guidance for Locally Administered Design-Build Projects
- More on locally administered projects
The Alternative Project Delivery Division has issued standard template documents for all forthcoming Request for Proposals. Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5) are provided below along with Exhibit 1 referenced therein:
- Lump Sum Agreement - Exhibit 1
- 2013 VDOT Design-Build Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5)
- 2010 Lump Sum Agreement - Exhibit 1
- 2010 VDOT Design-Build Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4 and 5)
- Red-line comparison: 2010 vs. 2013 VDOT Design Build Standard Template Documents (Parts 3, 4, and 5)
Active Design-Build Procurements
- Design-Build Requests for Qualifications (RFQs)
- Design-Build Requests for Proposals (Single-Phase RFPs)
- Design-Build Proposal Submittals and Rankings
Links to Project Website
- Route 630 (Courthouse Road) and Interstate 95 Interchange Reconstruction, Fredericksburg District
- Route 606 Bridge Replacement over I-95 with 606 Improvements, Fredericksburg District
- Route 220 Corridor Safety Improvements, Salem District
- I-64 Widening and High Rise Bridge, Phase 1, Hampton Roads District
- I-95 Safety Improvements at Route 3, Fredericksburg District
Candidate Design-Build Projects
- Transform 66 Inside the Beltway EB Widening, Northern Virginia District, UPC 108424 (RFQ release Nov 2016)
- I-95 Rappahannock River Crossing Southbound, Fredericksburg District, UPC 101595 (RFQ release Nov 2016)
- I-64 Widening from I-295 to Exit 205, Richmond District, UPC 107458 (RFQ release Nov 2016)
It is anticipated the projects listed below will be advertised using the Design-Build project delivery method. The list is subject to change at any time without notice.
- I-64 Peninsula Widening Segment III, Hampton Roads District, UPC 106689 (RFQ release Spring 2017)
- Bridge Replacement: I-81 over Reed Creek and Rte. 697 (Formato Lane), Bristol District, UPC 104936
- Bridge Replacement: I-81 over Rte. 686 (Mulberry Lane), Bristol District, UPC 107117
- Route 15/17/29 Interchange, Culpeper District, UPC 77384
Transurban is currently in negotiations with VDOT to extend the 95 Express Lanes along 395. The Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is provided in the link below:
For questions about the 395 Express Lanes design-build procurement, please contact Sean Mallipudi at 571-527-5395 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bridge Replacement: I-81 over Rte. 808 (Halls Bottom Rd) and Sinking Creek
Hampton Roads District
Northern Virginia District
- I-95 Express Lane Southern Terminus Extension, Northern Virginia District
- Route 659 (Belmont Ridge Road) - Reconstruct to 4-Lanes
- Route 7 Widening over Dulles Toll Road
- Route 606 Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road Reconstruction and Widening
- I-66/Route 15 Interchange Reconstruction
- Gloucester Parkway Extension
- Interstate 66 Active Traffic Management
- Interstate 66 Gainesville to Haymarket Widening
- I-395 HOV Ramp at Seminary Road with I-395 NB Auxiliary Lane Extension
- Rolling Road Loop Ramp