Financial Assistance Guidelines
Business Opportunity & Workforce Development DBE Supportive Services Financial Assistance Guidelines
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has received grant funds from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to provide supportive services to Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs) through the BOWD Center for highway related activities that will enhance or lead to contracting opportunities of VDOT federally-aided projects. The supportive services funds are allocated to enhance the growth and development of DBE firms particularly in the highway construction industry. The following guidelines serve to ensure efficient processing and offerings of requests for supportive services.
It is important that firms maintain their DBE certification status in order to qualify for supportive services. In addition, requests for supportive services must relate directly to a firm’s highway related activities.
Listed below are the steps to receiving funding for supportive services through the BOWD Center:
- Complete Business Assessment and work plan.
- Complete the Financial Assistance Request Form and submit no less than 30 days prior to date of activity.
- Attach supporting documentation that reflects relevant costs (i.e., registration cost, lodging, product cost, travel, etc.).
- Forward form to BowdCenter@vdot.virginia.gov for approval.
- BOWD Center will provide written notification of approval or denial of request.
- DBE pays for approved products/services and forwards all original receipts to the BOWD Center. All receipts and proof of payment, i.e. bank statement, credit card statement, must be submitted within 60 business days after receipt of purchase.
- SWaM certified firms must be utilized to provide goods/services if available.
- DBEs may receive full reimbursement for financial assistance requests up to $10,000.00 annually. All financial assistance requests must be pre-approved before any costs are incurred for which reimbursement is requested.
Examples of supportive services
The BOWD Center will adhere to applicable processes of VDOT’s Fiscal Policies and Procedures as set forth by the Commonwealth of Virginia. However, program management discretion will be used based upon availability of funds. Potential funding for DBE firms include:
- Software purchases
- University or Technical College courses (industry-related)
- Conference registration, Transportation (i.e., airfare, gas mileage reimbursement)
- Lodging –limited to the VDOT Fiscal Policies and Procedures rates.
For additional information, contact the BOWD Center:
1602 Rolling Hills Drive, Suite 110
Richmond, VA 23229
Fax: 804 662-9570