Statewide Transportation Improvement Program
The Statewide Transportation Improvement Program, or STIP, is Virginia’s federally required four-year program that identifies the transportation projects (highway, passenger rail, freight, public transit, bicycle and pedestrian) that will utilize federal transportation funding or require approval from either the Federal Highway or Federal Transit Administration.
The STIP must include all projects in an urbanized area that are included in an MPO’s TIP (Metropolitan Planning Organization Transportation Improvement Program) as well as federally funded projects in the rural areas of Virginia. Currently there are fifteen MPO areas. For more information about each MPO’s TIP, please click the corresponding link for the area.
- Bristol MPO – Bristol District
- Kingsport MPO – Bristol District
- Charlottesville-Albemarle MPO – Culpeper District
- Fredericksburg MPO – Fredericksburg District
- Hampton Roads TPO
- Central Virginia MPO – Lynchburg District
- Danville MPO – Lynchburg District
- National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board – NoVa District
- Richmond MPO – Richmond District
- Tri-Cities MPO – Richmond District
- Roanoke Valley MPO – Salem District
- New River Valley MPO (Formerly Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Montgomery MPO) – Salem District
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham MPO – Staunton District
- Staunton/Augusta/Waynesboro MPO (SAW) – Staunton District
- WinFred MPO (Winchester) – Staunton District
Federal regulations require each state produce a STIP at least once every four years; however VDOT updates their STIP every three years to ensure the program never lapses. Federal regulations require that the STIP demonstrate fiscal constraint to show that the state is not scheduling more transportation projects for construction than it has funding for.
Virginia provides many opportunities for the public to provide input on transportation projects and priorities as part of the continuing transportation planning process for the development of the STIP and the state required Six Year Improvement Program. These opportunities include federally required public involvement for each MPO’s TIP, Fall Transportation Meetings and Spring Public Hearings. The FFY 2015-2018 DRAFT STIP is now available for public review and comment. Comments will be received until July 16, 2014. You may comment in the following ways:
Mail VDOT project comments to:
Virginia Department of Transportation
1401 East Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23219
Email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
FFY 2012 – 2015 STIP
- Letter of approval (10 MB) signed Sept. 30, 2011, from the Federal Highway Administration approving the Fiscal Years 2012 – 15 STIP
- Fiscal Years 2012 - 15 STIP report (5 MB)
- Live Fiscal Years 2012 - 15 STIP report (2 MB - updated daily)
- Department of Rail and Public Transportation STIP
- 2009 -12 STIP with American Recovery and Rehabilitation Act amendments